Sunday, June 10, 2012

Easy:
I found this sweet fabric bunting in a book, Sew Charming, by Cath Derksema and Kirsten Junor.  I bought some fab summer fabrics and discovered I could get three flags out of a fat quarter. Then there is a little strip of fabric left, that can be used in the binding strip that holds them all together.  You connect all the strips, just like you would to make binding for a quilt.  So, my bunting has a colorful strip holding all the flag parts.   I made my own pattern using a scrap of peltex, but card stock, or cardboard will work fine. I just traced it onto the fabric with a sharpie marker. Once you cut out the shapes and sew them right sides together, you don’t see the sharpie marker.  Then you turn them right side out and press them.  The raw (open) edge just gets tucked into your binding strip, pin it in place, then sew along the binding strip until you have them all on there.  After I sewed mine up, I added a button and two button holes on each end, of the binding strip, so I have an adjustable way of fastening it to whatever hook or nail I decide to.

I hang mine on my patio, but Cath and Kirsten of Sew Charming, made theirs for a big beach umbrella, which looks so totally festive and breezy you want to make one!

No comments:

Post a Comment